Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Evolution NOT Resolution...

It's an Evolution not a Resolution...

I saw this saying at a Jugo Juice store recently and it struck a cord with me. I have spent many years struggling with my weight, slowing gaining more and more. About a year and a half ago I decided enough was enough. I was going to be strong and I was going to be healthy. So I took up some good habits like regular exercise and eventually running. I love how I feel after a good sweat sparkle session. It is easy for me to workout because I enjoy it. I like trying new workouts, I like pushing myself and I find it easy to make fitness a priority. However, I suck at food. I like... no... LOVE food. If I ate nothing but cheese and olives and dark chocolate for the rest of my life I would be happy (fat but happy). The idea of being on a "diet" is just something I could not even stand. I have tried very unsuccessfully in the past to reduce, not consume and starve myself and inevitably failed every time.

I am at this point where it is so intensely frustrating to work out so hard and not see the pounds come off as easily as I would like so I decided late December to make a complete food overhaul and see what would happen. January has come and gone and I have made big changes. I have reduced or taken many choices out of my diet. No wheat, minimal dairy, major sugar reduction. I think before I eat and I do my best to follow through on my menu plans. I lost 13.4 pounds in one month. I am not hungry. I am not deprived. I am just limiting my treats and watching all the rest of what goes in my mouth. I believe the reason why this time I am doing well is because I have figured out what works for my body. I am exercising AND eating right. Some days it is tough (read: I just really really really want sugar) but I stick it through because I know come the weekend I get my cheat meal and it will be worth it! It will mean I get sweet potato fries and desert! So because I plan and because I know that a treat is coming I am able to more or less do well on the non cheats.

This whole process to health for me has been an evolution. It has literally taken years to figure out how to take care of my body. To learn how to push it and how to fuel it. I am still learning, I still have a looooong ways to go but for the first time I have the right people supporting me and the right mentality in place. I am so excited to see what my body can do for me now that I am fueling it properly.

So, if you have any great protein filled recipes that don't use gluten or dairy please share! I am always open to trying new flavors.

Now, if you will excuse me my stomach is growling which means I am not bored but actually physically hungry so I am going to have a snack.


2 comments:

  1. Heather I loved this post! I’ve nominated you for The Sunshine Award! (You can follow the link for more award details.) It's been nice following along with you. -Karen Barnes

    ReplyDelete