Tuesday, March 29, 2011

10 on Tuesday...

My 10 favorite books to read with Evalicious...

In no particular order:

1. "Paperbag Princess" by Robert Munsch

2. "Where the Wild Things Are" by Maurice Sendak

3. "The Giving Tree" by Shel Silverstein

4. "Love You Forever" by Robert Munsch

5. "Fancy Nancy" by Jane O'Connor

6. "Oh The Thinks You Can Think" by Dr. Seuss

7. "On The Night You Were Born" by Nancy Tillman

8. "Moo Baa La La La" By Sandra Boynton

9. "We're Going On A Bear Hunt" by Michael Rosen

10. "Baby Bible Stories"

Ev loves to read. At night long after we have put her to bed we hear her continue to read to herself by the faint light of her nightlight. Some of the books on my list have a significant meaning (I can still hear my Mom singing "We're going on a bear hunt"), others are just plain fun; who doesn't like making animal sounds and rhyming Dr Seuss style...either way, these are all books Ev loves and book we love to read.

I have a great book to recommend to all the Mommies of girls out there. It is called "Cinderella Ate My Daughter" by Peggy Orenstein

Us Moms have a lot to worry about when raising our daughters; self image, eating disorders and a culture that teaches women that their worth is valued as much, if not higher, if they are beautiful over brainy. Shocking, I know, because I would think in today's forward thinking society we would place a lot more value of being brainy and witty over being beautiful. In this book Orenstein documents her struggle to "raise the ideal daughter". One who is happy, confident and not obsessed with tutus, tiaras and pink chiffon and the ultra feminine messages that come with all of the above.

While I have only read reviews so far on this book I feel like I can still recommend it. I have read books in the past by this particular author and have enjoyed her style and wit. I look forward to reading more about what Orenstein has to stay on a subject I feel is a consistent struggle.

One of the best quotes I read regarding this book is "Orenstein is the first to admit she’s not a perfect parent. But her advice to others is to pride yourself on saying no... Being a princess may seem simple. But raising one takes a whole lot of brains." Jessica Bennett, Newsweek




No comments:

Post a Comment